Netgear Orbi WiFi mesh systems are becoming every tech-lover favorite due to their cutting-edge technology and top-notch performance. By getting this installed in your home, you get high-speed internet access in every square inch of the home. But, what if you are away from the home and want to access your home network? Netgear Orbi systems facilitate that too. Isn’t it great? You need to enable Netgear Orbi VPN service on your Orbi WiFi system and you are good to go. But, what VPN is, and how to enable this service on your Orbi? Read this blog and find it yourself. You will find the details in very simple and easy-to-understand words.
What is Netgear Orbi VPN Service?
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network which allows you to access your network remotely when you are not around. It is also referred to as client-to-gateway tunnel access, wherein the client is the accessing device and the gateway is the router. The network between the client and gateway is encrypted(private). Netgear Orbi VPN lets you get access to your home network from another geographic location.
How to Enable Netgear Orbi VPN?
We hope you have got an idea about what VPN is. Let us now tell you how to enable this service on your Netgear Orbi WiFi system. Enabling Netgear Orbi VPN service is a 3-step process.
- Enable OpenVPN service in the Orbi router.
- Install OpenVPN client software and the configuration files on the device that you want to use for VPN access.
- Run OpenVPN client software on the device when you want to use VPN access.
Note: Please note that Orbi VPN uses a Dynamic DNS account to access the Orbi router. So, you must enable Dynamic DNS first and then go for enabling the VPN feature.
Step 1: Enable OpenVPN Service in the Orbi Router
In this step, you need to access Orbi settings using Orbi login details and configure OpenVPN. Here is the process:
- Power up the PC first.
- Load an Internet browser.
- Visit orbilogin.com.
- Input the login credentials and click on the Log In button.
- Select Advanced>Advanced Setup>VPN Service.
- Now, select the checkbox next to Enable VPN Service to enable Netgear Orbi VPN.
- Scroll and select All sites on the internet & Home Network radio button.
- Click on Apply button.
Step 2: Install OpenVPN Client Software and the Configuration Files
With the previous step, the Orbi VPN gets enabled on the router, but you need to install OpenVPN software on the device before you can begin using the VPN feature.
Netgear Orbi VPN via Android or iOS Device
- Commence the process by plugging the Netgear Orbi into an active power socket.
- Unlock your smartphone.
- Head towards the Google App Store or Apple App Store and download the OpenVPN Connect app.
- Thereafter, use your computer that is accessing the home network to visit orbilogin.com to open the Orbi login window.
- Input the admin credentials to access the Basic Home page of the Netgear Orbi.
- Thereafter click on Advanced>Advanced Setup>VPN Service options in the same sequence.
- The VPN page will open up.
- Now select the checkbox next to the Enable VPN Service option.
- Click on Apply.
- You need to click on For Smart Phone button to download OpenVPN configuration files.
- Unzip the files and send them to your smartphone.
Netgear Orbi VPN via Windows Device
- Access the Netgear Orbi login page using orbilogin.com on your computer.
- Enter the admin username and password in their respective fields and click on the Log In button to access the Basic Home page.
- Select Advanced>Advanced Setup> VPN Service to open the VPN page.
- After clicking on the checkbox next to Enable VPN Service, click on Apply.
- Now click on For Windows button and download the OpenVPN configuration files. Unzip the files when downloaded.
- Download the OpenVPN client utility.
- Thereafter, download and install the OpenVPN software on your PC.
- Copy the configuration files to the folder where the VPN client is installed on the PC.
Step 3: Use Netgear Orbi VPN
You can now open a Netgear Orbi VPN tunnel to the Orbi router to access the network remotely by running the OpenVPN client software on the device.
This is how you can enable Netgear Orbi VPN with 3 easy steps on your Orbi system. We assume you have already enabled this feature and are ready to try it. On the off chance, you got stuck in between and need assistance then get our experts’ assistance by getting in touch with them.