The Netgear Orbi WiFi router offers a powerful performance when it comes to internet access. It comes packed with the latest technology including WiFi 6 and Tri-Band connectivity. Unfortunately, even the best of WiFi routers are prone to technological drawbacks. Thus, one issue that might arise after you try to update the Netgear Orbi WiFi router is Bricking.
Come! Let us take a look at this issue. But, first let us understand what a router firmware update is.
Router Firmware Update – A Brief Intro
Every WiFi router runs on a firmware. But, the majority of WiFi router owners think of the firmware nothing more than a software update. We will help you understand the deep role a firmware update plays in your router’s functioning.
The firmware is essentially the operating system of the WiFi router. The majority of internet routers are Linux-based. This means these marvels of modern technology are prone to security vulnerabilities and cyberattacks. A problem can also occur if there is an issue with the firmware version. Home WiFi routers are highly susceptible to hacking and unauthorized intrusion as these are exposed directly to the internet on a daily basis.
This is why the router manufacturers keep releasing new versions of the firmware to keep it abreast with the latest threats. But, sometimes doing that also backfires which leads to another problem.
Netgear Orbi WiFi Router Bricked
Firstly, you should understand that installing a new firmware version on your Netgear Orbi WiFi router does comes with certain risks. Not every upgrade will work on every WiFi router model even if these upgrades come from the manufacturer.
The term “Bricked” here refers to new yet useless WiFi router that is the victim of a bad firmware upgrade. So, trying to differentiate between a router that is not working and one that is bricked can be a bit tricky.
Let us now understand what it is exactly that can brick your Netgear Orbi WiFi router.
What Bricks a Netgear Orbi Router?
A WiFi router becomes bricked in certain scenario. For example, if you decide to install a third-party firmware update this puts the device at an increased risk of becoming bricked. Apart from this, there are certain malware files which can brick a newly purchased WiFi router. For Netgear Orbi WiFi router, you can visit orbilogin.com to find out about the latest firmware version.
There are a few telltale signs when a router gets bricked. Read down below to know what these are:
- Note the time between the Netgear Orbi WiFi router failure and the firmware update operation. If the router malfunctioned immediately after updating its firmware, there is a high chance it is bricked. However, if the router functions normally after the firmware upgrade it is not bricked.
- Check out the WiFi router’s front panel lights. During normal operations, only ports with active connection will light up. Unplug one of the connections and look at the front panel again. The light of the port you disconnected will turn off.
- Try accessing the Netgear Orbi WiFi router administrative interface. Input the IP address 192.168.1.1 into the web browser address bar without the quotation marks. Press the Enter key. If the WiFi router is functioning normally, it will open up a window asking for the username and password. Now, if the connection is successful, the router is not bricked.
Now, here’s how you can unbrick the bricked Netgear Orbi WiFi router.
Steps to Fix Bricked Netgear WiFi Router
Keep in mind, the process to fix a bricked Netgear Orbi WiFi router depends on the model. Put simply, if the router green lights are not flashing, you have a problem at hand.
That said, tech experts have come up with a few troubleshooting tips for the same:
- Unplug the Netgear WiFi router from the power source. Keep it so for around 30 seconds to a minute. Plug the router back in and see if the green lights flash back or not. In case, these do not flash, then follow the procedure below.
- Try accessing the internet using the Netgear Orbi WiFi router through a wired connection. Use a new and undamaged Ethernet cable and connect it the router.
- Open up a web browser and enter the router IP address. It helps you reach the router setting’s page. The page also helps you understand what is wrong with the router and offer an alternate solution.
- If this does not help, it is time for a manual reset. Connect with our technical team to help get the router functioning again.
A bricked router is no good for you. Therefore, tech experts recommend that you always use the official firmware update to keep the WiFi router away from this issue.
Are you unable to access the internet with the Netgear Orbi WiFi router after an update? Chances are the WiFi router is bricked. But, you need not worry as following the steps above will help you take care of the issue.